Followers

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lessons for Daily Living, Being An Observer of Yourself (ego)

Being an observer of your ego is WORK! It takes daily, moment to moment observation.
I'll call my ego the "little shannon." She represents that little 6 year old girl in me who often puts her hands on her hips and throws little tantrums when she doesn't get her way. I'm laughing as I type this because today I just caught her in the act.
We were having lunch today and the "little shannon" was having a discussion on her own, just looking for approval. I could feel in my physiology (if you are aware enough, you will feel your physical body take on a different kind of energy) a tightness, as if the "little shannon" was again, putting her hand on her hips saying "Why don't you just agree with me?" hahaha..I let her throw a mini tantrum, until minutes later I realized this...She was seeking for "external" approval.
I took out my notebook and wrote this down "Seeking approval outside yourself always leads to disappointment."
I've learned in the process that self-approval, self-acceptance, anything that has "self" in it, yes, comes from within. We can only fulfill ourselves. No one "out there" no matter how close they are to you can be responsible for making you happy.
Happiness comes from within.

After my quick observation of what was happening within me, I took full responsibility for myself, I apologized, mentioned my lesson and together, my boyfriend and I had a roaring laugh at the table.
I remembered the quote then, "All tragedies, in time become, comedies."

1 comment:

  1. You have such a great awareness of who you are and I am so grateful that you share those insights. I have to give thought to my own ego and reflect on how it works in my life each day. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete